Our History
The Kalagam was inaugurated amidst the delicate chimes of the Manikkavinayagar Temple with the blessings of the celebrated Swami Vipulananda Adigal and Mudliyar Rasanayagam.
The three Founders were Mrs. Rasamuthu Sathasivam, Mrs. Sornacanthy Nallainathan and Mrs. Balambigai Namasivayam.
These women with foresight, untiring efforts and undaunted enthusiasm built up the Kalagam.
From small beginnings at the Theosophical Society in Peterson Lane, Colombo 6 the Kalagam has grown, having moved into its premises in 1934 at 23, Rudra Mawtha Colombo 6.
From thatched beginnings it is today one of the oldest Hindu Women’s Organisations in Sri Lanka.
   
A Band of Hindu Women founded the Saiva Mangaiyar Kalagam on 10th December 1930 to,
Reawaken the Hindus from their slumber and apathy when, under Colonial Rule they had lost their Hindu Cultural moorings.
The Kalagam is situated in 23 Rudra Mawatha, Colombo 6 in Sri Lanka.
It is a Registered Society and was registered under the Society’s Ordinance in 1936. (The Registration Number is S 30)
It is an Approved Charity and all contributions are exempt from tax.
It is a Social Service Organisation working in the educational, religious, cultural and social fields.
   
View Video Profile... View Saiva Mangaiyar Vidyalayam website...
 
 
Copyrights © 2009. All rights reserved.
Designed & Developed by : Egait